Thursday, April 4, 2013

ATribute To A Great Bahamian Luminary Mr. Paul Adderley by Dr. Kevin J. Alcena

A Great Legend Has Passed - ATribute To A Great Bahamian Luminary Mr. Paul Adderley by Dr. Kevin J. Alcena


“...the safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.” (Voltaire)

The autocthon bel esprit and iconic former Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Paul Adderley redefined Bahamas’ position in the global community. He was a friend, and a luminary mentor who encouraged me to pursue my PHD in Development Economics and articulated my intellectual mandate for national building. Mr. Adderley was the one who encouraged me to abandon ICS and establish McHari when he was the Minister of education. He was a patriot who wanted everything to originate from the Bahamas!

He was a rare zeitgeist is so many ways. He was our Bahamian Socrates and Plato combined. As an avid photographer I was able to view his art exhibits at Central Bank. He always admonished me to love my country because we have so much to enjoy in this great Bahamaland. I was honored to watch this artisan at work taking Junkanoo photographs that capture the intrinsic moments of life as they occurred.

“The shortest and surest way to live with honour in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them.” (Socrates)

The Honorable Paul Adderley that I can remember mentored and nurtured others like myself to be self-reliance with excellence as our driving force. He was very kind in giving legal advice and encouraged me to go back to law school as well as read and understand the constitution. He was a regional constitutional scholar who had an open-door policy when he as the Attorney General. He had no tolerance for mediocrity. I can recall him saying to me one day on Parliament Square, “Talk young man, I want to hear you! Don’t mutter! Speak up! I want to hear what’s on your mind!” That’s the kind of man I remember him to be. He had an incredible and unique laugh that was bigger than life.

Think not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions; but those who kindly reprove thy faults. (Socrates)

Mr. Adderley transcended the Bahamian order of intellects. He was a great historian and avid reader of ancient and modern history but detested colonialism. He always said to me, “You should read at least 5 books per month and make sure to write about them.” That is how I became the author of my first book in 1988 and many years after that. It was a result of Mr. Paul Adderley himself. He always critiqued on my articles and encouraged me to continue to write. He was a man who had zero tolerance for corruption and stood for principle. I can still hear that laughter in his voice that he often times ended his conversations with. I can remember clearly one day when he was walking to his car on Frederick Street when he was told he parked illegally he laughed and said, “I do not want to be perceived as breaking the law" and he humbly moved his car with words of gratitude. He was a great Bahamian debater and had a very common touch. There are very few people who leave indelible impressions on the lives of others. Mr. Adderley created and left behind a legacy in our Foreign Affairs National Policy. It is my opinion that the new airport road should be named after him.

“The soul of man is immortal and imperishable”. (Plato)

He was my friend whom I loved and a friend to all Bahamians especially those of the Junkanoo, legal society and global community. His friends will miss him dearly! The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways - I to die, and you to live. Which is better God only knows.(Socrates) You’ve done your part in this journey called life, now sleep on my dear friend and take your well deserved rest! We will miss the Honorable Paul Adderley whom we loved so dearly!

My Condolences to his family!

No comments:

Post a Comment